NYC Day #1

We arrived in NYC on Wednesday and met at the airport. Trever flew in from Chicago and I flew from Detroit. The timing was perfect! We grabbed a cab and met Julia at her work. After the grand tour we walked to Battery Park and had lunch outside at Fatty 'Cue. It was a beautiful day and we were able to see the Staten Island Ferries traveling to and from Ellis Island. I had a pulled pork sandwich and Trever and Julia had the brisket. Trever also had a lemonade until he spilled in on his shorts. It's not good to have sticky shorts when you are planning to walk around the city all day, but we put that behind us.

After saying goodbye to Julia, we made our way to Ground Zero, the World Financial Plaza, and St. Paul's Church. As we stood there looking at Ground Zero, it was hard for me to believe all that happened 10 years ago. As we walked through the memorial at St. Paul's Church, it was sad to once again realize the loss that so many families experienced. I was moved by the sacrifice that so many people made to help those in need.

Here is a picture of me in front of ground zero. It just looks like a construction site at this point. Notice the shoes I am wearing. Not good for walking around NYC all day and boy was I feeling it at the end. I knew I needed to change my shoes when we arrived but I won't take you through my thought process, that is a whole different story.

After leaving Ground Zero, we rested on a park bench in City Hall Park and walked around the art exhibit. We were quite tired after several late nights leading up to our trip. After resting for a bit, we got motivated and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Heights. Here are a few pictures. I wish the one of Trever would have turned out better but we have to post it for the memories.
We spent the rest of the afternoon napping under the shade trees in Brooklyn Bridge Park. It felt so good to lay down and it was a perfect day. We had dinner at the famous Grimaldis and it did not disappoint. After eating we walked back to the park to listen to a free concert put on by the Metropolitan Opera. Half way through the second song it started pouring rain. We ran for cover with many others who were both laughing and cheering. It was hard to make a quick getaway with my pregnant belly and sore feet but we finally found shelter. My scarf quickly turned into a headband, to try and disguise my soaking wet hair.
We were going to take the subway but decided to walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge to Julia’s work. It was a LONG walk but it was beautiful. The rain only lasted for a few minutes and then we had clear skies.
Luckily Julia and Will came and picked us up in their car. They took us back to their apartment on the upper West Side and I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Comments

Heather said…
So fun! You fit a lot into that one day. Post made me miss New York AND you. :)

Popular Posts