Chicago


When we planned our visit to Michigan, I knew I wanted to make a trip to Chicago as well. After spending a week with family, we rented a car and drove to Illinois. We spent our first 24 hours in Chicago, and were greeted with very hot and humid weather, just like I remember.


When we arrived on Friday afternoon, Trever was on a conference call, so he dropped us off at the American Girl store. These girls were in awe and didn't even know where to start looking. The Chicago store is HUGE and mind blowing. Jane was especially impressed with the bathrooms. :) The girls had gifts cards to spend and finally decided on these pets for their dolls. Lizzie had to have the "two titties" (aka kitties). Ha!


That evening we were able to meet up with some of our favorites, the Cottrells. They have two adorable kiddos and were kind enough to brave the heat and a crowded restaurant with us on a Friday night. I think we were all a little more comfortable once we got closer to the fountains. The kids had a great time splashing around and cooling off, and we had a great time catching up with Nick and Shannon.




We got a great deal on a hotel and stayed right downtown along the river. I love walking around Chicago, the architecture is so amazing and everything is so clean and beautiful! We brought the scooters for the girls and they had a great time cruising around.


The Trump Tower in the background. Jane wanted to know if Donald Trump lived there and she had several other questions about Mr. Trump.


We had breakfast downtown before heading to Navy Pier. We rode the Ferris Wheel and a few other rides before going inside to escape the heat. I spent a few hours at the Children's Museum with the girls while Trever made the trek back to our hotel to pack up our stuff. We both agreed that our girls would not survive the hot, humid walk back to our hotel.

After leaving Chicago, we made our way to Wilmette to visit the Petersons. Jane was thrilled to see her best friend Peyton. These two greeted each other and were on their way, just like old times. They played nonstop for 24 hours and had the best time. All of our girls had so much fun and they all played together so well. I wish we still lived two doors down from this family, those were the days!

On Saturday evening we went to dinner and a concert with Petersons, while the kiddos stayed home with a babysitter. We really enjoyed seeing The Nadas and loved our front row seats.


On Sunday we had brunch with friends and then went to church. So much has changed in that ward since we left and yet many of my favorite people still remain. Jane was totally exhausted and slept on my lap for most of sacrament meeting.

After church we had dinner with the Kings. They were also kind enough to host a dessert party for our family and we had a chance to catch up with so many great friends. We have such fond memories of our time in Wilmette and I love so many of the amazing families that live there. In the end I was glad to visit but I do feel that California is home. I am so grateful for the 5 years that we spent in the Midwest and for all of the amazing friendships we formed. I sure hope we pass through the North Shore sometime soon!

Comments

Popular Posts