Boston
At the end of October, Trever had a work conference in Boston, so I decided to tag along. Our friends Molly and Jason were also in town for the conference, so it was the perfect reason to schedule a getaway. While the boys worked, the girls played. We shopped, ate and walked parts of The Freedom Trail. We walked through some beautiful neighborhoods and saw other popular places around the city.
Our first night there we met up with Molly and Jason for some delicious pizza. We also learned that our flight home was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy. It seemed a little crazy that they would cancel our flight so early but I guess they didn't know how the storm would affect Boston. We tried not to worry about the flight and just enjoy our time away.
blury iPhone picture to capture our night on the town
The next day Molly and I met a friend from our single days for brunch. We had a great time catching up and ate another great meal. After brunch we shopped until we dropped and had a great time walking the streets of Boston. It rained a little bit but nothing stopped us from enjoying a great day. That evening Trever and I went out to dinner in the North End. The Italian restaurant was small, quaint, very authentic. Although we were stuffed, we still walked across the street to Mike's Pastry and got some delicious desserts. Holy cannoli!!
I spent all day Monday in the hotel. I went out just before noon and got something to eat. Most of the restaurants were shut down by mid-day because they shut down public transportation. It felt weird to just be sitting in my hotel room, when my regular days are so busy. I just tried to enjoy the quiet. I read my book and took a long nap, the things I long to do during my regular days.
We were pretty safe in Boston but if was a little scary to anticipate what may happen with the storm. We did have pretty high winds but there was no damage to the city and we were just fine. Before we left for our trip, Trever bought some energy bars at the store, "just in case." He came home with two bars that seemed fine and then, then he showed me the old school chocolate Powerbar that he bought. I am talking about the one in the gold package that was the very first one they every made. Can you say gross! I am pretty sure I wouldn't eat one of those unless we were in a really desperate situation. Note to self, don't send Trever to the store for food if a natural disaster is about to hit.
The sky was pretty clear on Monday, so we were able to get out and about. It did rain a little bit, so we had to pull out our cheap CVS umbrellas. Molly broke two umbrellas in a matter of two days. I would have to say that it was the fault of the cheap umbrellas, but she wasn't very gentle with them either. :) It was raining, so we ended up walking back to my hotel holding up the umbrella with our arm. Good times.
Rockin' it on the bridge in Boston Public Garden.
The Old State House in the background.
It was really nice to getaway for a few days and spend time with a good friend and enjoy Boston. I slept in, enjoyed the comfort of a king bed and enjoyed having a break from my regular routine. I wish that we had a little more time in Boston but I can't complain. I am grateful to my parents for staying with my girls and taking care of our "busy blessings" as they call them. We were able to reschedule our flight for Wednesday morning and made it home in time for the Halloween festivities. Big thanks to Jessica for watching our kids for a few hours on Wednesday. Jane was over the moon to see us, which felt good, and we were excited to see our girls too. Back to reality.



Comments