Snapshot
These are the moments I like to remember. This past week was exhausting and crazy but we did it, we made it through another week. Jane and Cate really love their little sister Lizzie and for that I am grateful. They want to be right next to her and I feel like I am often playing defense to make sure someone doesn't jump, step or fall on her.
It's good to remember the good moments from the week because there were plenty of crazy times. On Monday Jane and Lizzie had their check-ups. I didn't realize that Jane was going to get two shots, so I felt bad when all of her excitement faded away as she realized that she had to get shots. She did pretty well but she was upset and I think the shot in her left leg really did hurt. I tried to console her but couldn't hold her for very long because I had to hold Lizzie while she got poked in the leg as well. Two of the three girls were crying for a bit and our exit was not very graceful but everyone was okay.
On Tuesday I had great plans for going to the park around the corner from our house but by the time I had my act together it was 11 am and we ended up staying home. I tried to be more ambitious on Wednesday and drug everyone to play group. I say drug because that how it felt as I tried to get everyone out the door. I mean it was only play group, and I should be able to make it at least once a week, right? Well, Jane and Cate had a good time once we got there but I felt a little scattered. Jane can hold her own and Cate can too, but Cate still needs more supervision. I tried to keep an eye on her but she moves fast. Shortly after we arrived, Cate had pulled her shoes off and was running through the tan bark with bare feet. She climbed on the wood structures and ran all over with those bare feet and it didn't phase her. I had Lizzie strapped on my chest but it wasn't working very well. She stayed asleep but the wrap was too loose and I didn't want to undo it, so I kind of held her on me and tried to keep an eye on the other kiddos. I have to say that it felt a little crazy and a little unsafe for Cate but we made it out without a scratch. At the end of that day, I realized that sometimes less is more. If it works for us to get out, great and if not, that's okay too. The girls will probably be happier to have a mom that isn't frazzled.
Trever was out of town on Wednesday and Thursday, so I was pretty exhausted at the end of each day. I had big plans for baking cookies and playing with Jane on Friday afternoon when Lizzie and Cate were sleeping but alas I had to take a nap. I set Jane up with a few activities and tried to rest. I laid down for about 30 minutes before Lizzie woke up. I was able to get Lizzie back to sleep but decided I needed to get up. Jane and I went on a leaf hunt, drew some pictures and did a few activities before Cate woke up. Trever came home a few hours later and I breathed a sigh of relief. It was so good to have him home and to have an extra set of hands to help. I ended the night with a trip to Trader Joes and the grocery store. It wasn't a glamorous Friday night but it felt good to get out and who doesn't enjoy a trip to TJ's.
There are times I feel inadequate, wishing I had extra time to spend with each girl but then again I may always feel that to some degree. I just do my best, say a lot of prayers and try to take a deep breath. This is a busy time of life but it's also a good time. Here's to hoping we can make it through another week.
Cate painting her masterpiece



Comments