Snapshot

Jane & Cate in front of the library holding their certificates for completing the Summer Reading Program.

My lack of blogging has nothing to do with a lack of things to say. These girls keep me busy and we have been having a great summer. We have have had our days of fun, laughter, tears, and much more but it's mostly been good. If I get a good nights sleep and a nap, it's even better (for everyone).

So here is what these girls have been doing for the past few months.

Jane
LOVES all things art. We are constantly sorting through which projects to keep because in her eyes, everything should be archived. She loves to color, cut, paint, glue, tape and re-tape paper together. Jane's project are displayed all over the house and we even framed two of her art projects from a summer camp she attended in June. She is currently taking her first art class through the parks and recreation department and is loving it. The class is for 3 days and they read Eric Carle books and do art that relates the book.

Jane is VERY social right now. She is constantly asking to play with friends and could play with some of her besties all day. We are lucky to have a 4 yr old upstairs and another 3 yr old girl just two doors down. They play with babies, roll play mom and dad or "mother and child" as she calls it. They dress up in dance outfits, pajamas, swimsuits, and even church clothes for their various activities. Her imagination amazes me and it's so fun to watch.

Jane also loves to be outside and the novelty of riding her bike is still there. She especially loves going on bike rides with her dad and I am amazed at her endurance on some of their longer rides. We have spent a lot of time at the pool this summer and she is getting more comfortable in the water. She does a great job at her swim lessons but isn't as adventurous with us. She doesn't really like wearing her goggles (she says they are too tight), so sticking her head in the water for long periods of time is a challenge. I am not worried about it and am really excited about the progress she has made this year.

Looking her best and being fancy is still important to Jane. Clothes must be colorful and not "boring." A simple black dress is not her thing. She makes sure to accessorize with headbands, necklaces, bracelets and shoes. I LOVE that she enjoys getting dressed all by herself and that I never really have to remind her to get dressed for the day. 

Jane is getting better at trying new food but still likes to stick to her favorites. She is quite S-L-O-W when eating and often needs a lot of encouragement to finish. I think she eats to live. If she had her wish, most meals would consist of mac n' cheese, chicken nuggets and grapes.

Jane is anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new baby and I know that she will be a great big sister. She is really good with Cate and is a great friend and helper to those that are young. She helps Cate put on her shoes, wash her hands, unbuckle her seat belt and even showed Cate how to use her chore chart last week. She is always willing to hold Cate's hand and will often step in to help me entertain Cate if I need to cook dinner or get something done.

My spunky girl is going to be starting a 4-day a week preschool program at the end of the month and I am so excited for her. I thought 4-days would be a lot but she is ready and she will enjoy doing something fun and engaging in the afternoons while Cate is sleeping and I am catching my breath. 


Cate
Cate is growing up fast and looks especially grown up when she is wearing piggies. She doesn't sit still for very long, so in order to get her hair in pig tails, I let her watch a short YouTube clip. The Wiggles are her current favorite. They are entertaining but also kind of creepy if you ask me.

Cate is now sharing a room with Jane and seems to be enjoying her shared space. Our first few attempts at combining them into one room were a bust but after a week or two, we are off and running. Cate is now waking up an hour earlier than she used to, which means both girls are up in the 6 o'clock range. That may not be early for some but it's early for me at this stage of the game.

She is definitely nearing two, as Cate now likes to do most things all-by-herself. I can laugh a little more at this stage of development with Cate, although it still makes me a little crazy. She likes to eat "the big one", which means WHOLE granola bars, sandwiches and pieces of cheese. If the food appears to be tampered with, she will refuse it. Cate was our big eater but has now become more selective. There is no convincing her to eat something she is not excited about, although she is willing to try a variety of foods if you catch her in the right moment. She is getting a little better but she is constantly throwing her food onto the floor when she is done. It makes me CRAZY! Especially rice, dumped bowls of cereal and other messy foods. If she could use a mop, I would make her wash the floor.

Cate is our monkey and still loves to climb. She quickly climbs up stairs, ladders, and other equipment at the park. With the exception of a few falls, she is pretty good on her feet and is always proud of how high she can climb. She has recently been trying to go down the fire pole. She sees her big sister accomplish something and is eager to try it as well. I think some people are freaked out by how adventurous she is but I try to stand back, while paying close attention of course, so that she can explore her strength and try new things.

She is also a water baby and has really enjoyed playing at the beach and pool this year. I am glad she has a good life jacket because she is not afraid to go off on her own. She will jump in the water without prompting, go down slides and dip her face without batting an eye. 

Cate is a quite the clown and is constantly making all of us laugh. She makes funny faces and will use her silly phrases to make people smile. I  am always surprised to hear her repeat a line of a pop song (Call Me Maybe to be exact) and say some silly phrase that is completely appropriate for the moment. She loves to put on a show and is quite the tease. She has also been described as a pistol and I think that is about right.

I don't think I am ready to give Cate up as my baby but as Trever said last night, "the train has already left the station." I am excited to see her grow and develop over the next few months and hope that a baby sister won't rock her world too much.

US
Trever and I have had a busy summer and the arrival of our baby girl is coming quick. Trever did a lot of traveling for work in June and July but has stayed close to home for the past month. While on the road he rekindled his desire for working out (although it seems to only stick when he is traveling). He also became a HUGE fan of Breaking Bad. Traveling and late night Netflix watching has made him sleep deprived but he takes it in stride. :)  Trever did an excellent job with our garden this year and we were able to enjoy lettuce for almost two months. We are now starting to harvest tomatoes and zucchini. I think a good garden tomato may be one of Trever's favorite things.

As for me, I am pregnant! That pretty much sums up a lot of my days but I am feeling good. I have tried to get out and make the most of our summer and have really enjoyed spending time at the pool and beach with Jane and Cate. I am still doing my cooking group and Trever and I have been doing a lot of date nights before the baby arrives. I was lucky to have my friend Molly in town a few weeks ago and we enjoyed doing girl stuff and just spending time together. I am a little nervous for our transition to 3 kids but know that we are extremely blessed and am looking forward to this new phase of life. Stay tuned!

Comments

RC Cola said…
My two year old sounds similar to yours - a handful. Good luck with the third. It is super hard.

Popular Posts