Updates and such

I had several things I wanted to blog about this month but time got away from me. Now that Christmas is over, I have some time to write.

Jane is on the mend and her tongue has healed really well. You can still see her stitches but her tongue appears to be fine. It was a pretty hairy week after her fall and she was quite emotional. It was understandable but man it was hard for me to be patient, not my finest parenting moments. Jane was nervous about brushing her teeth, so she walked around with stinky breath for a few days. We tried to help her brush but there was no reasoning with her. Getting out the door in the morning was extra challenging and everything was a battle. Emotions ran high for everyone. :) Jane also went from feeling weak from lack of food, to racing around the house on a sugar high from so much ice cream. Her food options were limited but we finally figured out that purred oatmeal was her food of choice. She enjoyed A LOT of oatmeal and never seemed to tire of eating it. She also enjoyed several chocolate milk shakes (and so did Trever).

Now onto more uplifting topics. This Christmas season was especially fun with Jane. She was ready to start decorating in November, so by the time December came around she was really excited. She loved plugging in our outside lights every night. I am so glad they made her happy and that she is too young to know how ridiculous they looked. After surveying several boxes of lights at Target, I finally put two in the cart and called it a night. I was not happy when Trever announced that I bought twinkling lights, WHAT? Well, I wasn't going to make another trip to the store, so we put up our two strands of lights and tried to hold our heads high. Next year we will need about four more strands of lights and may need to put the twinkling ones in the bushes.

Each day Jane opened the advent calendar and each night she opened one present/book to be read before bedtime. We have some great Christmas books in our collections and found a few more at the library. When we left our house to stay with family, we scrambled each night to find a book to wrap. She made sure that we kept our traditions alive.  Other fun memories I have from this season are singing Christmas songs in the car. Jane definitely has her favorites, and I love that she can sing along with Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You." She also loves one of my personal favorites from the early 80's, "Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid. I enjoyed looking in the rear view mirror and seeing her sing, "Feed the worrrrrrld, let them know it's Christmastime now."

Another highlight for me was a Tuesday evening early in the month. Tuesdays are our long days because Trever attends Young Men's activities and sometimes goes there straight from work.  This particular night he did not come home, so after an early dinner, I still had a lot of time to kill before bedtime. I decided to load the girls into the car and took them to see Christmas lights. They seemed to enjoy the drive and we had a great time singing Christmas songs together. When we got home the girls took a bath and then chased each other around the house without any clothes on. I loved hearing their laughter and seeing their little bare buns running around the house. Any frustrations I had from the day were washed away and all was well.

Even though the days can be long, I am extremely blessed and grateful for the good and bad days in this season of my life. We had a fabulous Christmas season and have so much to be thankful for at this time of the year.

Comments

Molly and Jason said…
Jane can take your place as my duet partner on that Mariah Carey song!!! lol....can't wait to sing that one with her! (and you!)

Popular Posts